Table of Contents
What is Alamy?
Alamy is the world’s most diverse stock photo collection with over 255 million stock images, vectors and videos. Find everything everyone else has and a whole load more, from the everyday to the niche. Images are sourced from over 60,000 individual photographers and 600 picture agencies from around the world. 100,000 new images added everyday, keeping the collection fresh and up to date. With the fastest website in the industry it’s quick to find what you’re looking for. Great imagery, amazing service and flexible pricing.
30% Off Coupon Code
Alamy sells its content on-demand only, but you can save by using credit packs.
- Rights Managed images cost between $19.99 and $199.99, depending on the intent.
- Royalty-Free images cost between $49 and $365, depending on the size.
Alamy’s prices are transparent and easy to determine since there are no credit options. Its diverse catalogue offers various themes and styles available under either Royalty-Free license, starting at as low as $6.96 per image, or Rights Managed license with prices starting at $19.99 per image.
There is, however, a downside to no subscription plans because there are no immediate discounts on bulk purchases or recurring customers, the problem which has been now resolved with image packs.
You can get up to a 30% discount with Alamy’s image packs. The agency is also willing to work out a special offer for your individual needs; all you need to do is contact them directly.
Importantly, Alamy offers a full refund, no questions asked 30-day money-back guarantee.
Popular image licenses
Alamy has pre-prepared Popular image licenses that are quick and easy to use. These licenses differ in applicability. The following can be used for:
- Personal use – $19.99. Personal prints, cards, and gifts, or reference for artists. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
- Presentation or newsletters – $19.99. Use in a presentation/talk or in a newsletter.
- Website – $49.99. Websites, apps, social media, and blogs. Worldwide for 5 years.
- Magazines and books – $69.99. Magazine or book, inside use, 2,500 circulations, worldwide for 5 years
- Marketing package: Small business – $59.99. Marketing materials, worldwide for 5 years. For businesses of up to 10 employees.
- Marketing package: Large business – $199.99. Marketing materials, worldwide for 5 years. For businesses of more than 10 employees.
Royalty-Free image licenses
Royalty-free image licenses are flexible and user-friendly. All you need to do is select the resolution you need, and pay a one-off fee that allows you to use the selected image in any way you want, for an unlimited amount of time.
sYou can use them across multiple projects without having to buy extra licenses. It’s also a perfect choice if you don’t know how long your project is going to last, and therefore how long the images will be in use.
These images and illustrations are available in multiple sizes, ranging from XSmall to XXLarge.
Alamy offers a bespoke license, completely tailored to your needs. No matter if you’re a smaller business owner, who’s looking for a few stock images a year, or a well-established company, Alamy is happy to help you.
With Download packs, you get instant access to images. This is a pre-paid and download on-demand purchase option, ideal if you know you’ll need more than 10 images per year, as it can save you up to 30% Off.
There are a few rules:
- Use is restricted to the license you’ve bought
- Downloads are available for 12 months after purchase
- Your unused downloads are not rolled-over
- The download pack is never auto-renewed
The majority of its collection is available for download, but there are some restrictions. Some images can’t be sold in certain countries or for certain uses; however, Alamy will always let you know which licenses are available in advance.
30% Off Coupon Code
Alamy Payment options
Alamy accepts all major credit cards (MasterCard, VISA, American Express), PayPal, and Google Pay, so you won’t have any problems finding the right payment option for yourself. All payments are safe and quickly processed; thus, giving you chance to instantly start using the purchased images.
Below is a screenshot of Alamy payment dialogue.
Alamy Image search tools
Alamy has a fantastic image search tool, that was so effective that Alamy even applied it for a patent. It is very easy to use and the implementation of various parameters makes finding the perfect image a simple task.
With the selection of proper search filters, you can narrow down your search and find exactly the image you’re looking for. You can search by:
- People – search by the number of people in an image or the age of the people, or even by their ethnicity
- Location – USA, UK, Australia, and Europe
- Image – select the orientation you want, pick the style or enter the minimum file size
- Viewpoint – pick the angle that suits your needs, you can choose between front, side, rear, profile
- Date taken – find images taken within specific time frames or search the most recently added content
Advanced search filter
Alamy’s Advanced search filter is a great tool if you want to search for a particular collection or photographer or do a more detailed search. You can search by contributor name, or terms such as “all words”, phrases, “at least one of the words”, or “without the words”.
Lightboxes let you store images that you find and like when you’re searching, saving them for later, should you decide to purchase them.
To create a Lightbox, make sure you’re registered first. You can do this easily and quickly by clicking the “Sign Up” button, and popping in your details.
Once you’re logged in to your account, go to the homepage and select “My Alamy” in the top right corner and click “Lightbox” from the drop-down menu. Select “Add a Lightbox”, give it a name, and description (optional). Click “Save” and you’re all set to start adding images to your Lightbox.
To start adding content into your Lightbox, go to the homepage, and enter your search term in the search bar. There are 2 ways to add images from the search results page.
Option 1. When you find an image that you like, hover the mouse over it and a set of 4 icons will very conveniently pop-up. Click on the left-most icon.
Once you click the icon, a box will appear at the bottom of the screen, where you can select which Lightbox you want to add an image to.
Alamy promises that an icon changes once the image is added to a Lightbox to let you know that the task has been completed; however, no matter how many times I tried I couldn’t make it work. Although the image was saved to my Lightbox, the icon didn’t change. This is not a huge issue since you get a confirmation when your image is saved to your Lightbox. It is probably only a temporary bug.
Option 2. When you find an image that you like, you can click on it and you will land on the image page. Next, you can click on the “Add to Lightbox” option under the image.
Once again I couldn’t make the icon change work. Although not a deal-breaker, it would be nice to have. You can also learn more about Lightboxes in Alamy vlog:
30% Off Coupon Code
FAQ For Alamy
Alamy is a safe and reputable company. I’ve worked with them for years without any problems. You might find some poor reviews on sites such as TrustPilot, but every brand or service has negative reviews, due to the customers not reading the terms and conditions carefully.
You can use Alamy photos, but only if either of these three conditions is met:
1. If it has a creative commons license that allows it to be shared for free you will still need to insert a credit line that details the contributing party’s information. For example © Contributor’s name / Alamy Stock Photo
2. You can share an image within Alamy. On the image page, you’ll find our ‘share’ button to the right-hand side, and from here you can select which social media channel you’d like to share the image on. The image will be shared equipped with watermark, credit line, and link back to the image page.
3. If you don’t want to share a watermarked image or assign a credit line to the image, your best option is to buy the image under a license that enables the use of the image online.
Alamy also offers a Royalty-Free license, which means that you pay a one-off fee to use the image with no restrictions on how you use it, or for how long you use it. Royalty-free images can also be used across multiple projects, forever.
Alamy is a non-exclusive agency, meaning that you can sell images on their website as well as on other non-exclusive sites. Make sure you take advantage of that to get the most out of your work.
Alamy’s photos are available on-demand only, with the prices starting as low as $6.96 per download. The price depends on the License and Image resolution.